Sunday, December 03, 2006

My Early Christmas Present!

This adorable kitty is Berlioz, my new cat!! He is my first cat, I've never owned a cat (my sisters are both horribly allergic), and until recently I thought of myself pretty much as a strictly dog kinda person. But, hubby helped win me over into appreciating cats, and after seeing my parents (and brother) adopt Max, and trying to figure out what I wanted for Christmas, the idea of adopting a cat grew and grew on me. I finally decided once and for all that a cat would, indeed, be my Christmas present, and we went to the shelter this past Friday.

We had looked online and seen several precious cats. Once we saw the cats in person at the shelter, it didn't take long for us notice Berlioz (then named Freddie.) What I have always loved about dogs is that they are so sweet and affectionate. Most cats I have interacted with are pretty snobby...but not Berlioz! As soon as Camille and I sat down, he came right to us and started rubbing up against us, and standing on his hind legs like he wanted us to pick him up. When he came up into our laps, he started rubbing his face on ours, which was just too cute! He wasn't too playful (I'm still a bit shy around cat teeth and claws!), or too hyper, or very loud...he was just perfect! We visited with several other kitties, but kept coming back to him. He's about a year old, is super friendly, and so, so sweet and tender. We put him on hold before leaving, and then came back the next day to pick him up. We couldn't wait to get him home!

Since Berlioz has been home, he has checked out the whole house, and he tends to follow us around and want to be with us. He loves to snuggle and give kisses. Last night he was gone for a little while and we couldn't figure out where he was! We looked and looked all over the house, and finally realized he had fallen into the Christmas tree box under the bed and gotten stuck, lol! He was so quiet the whole time that we had a hard time finding him.

Well, that's about all I have to say about Berlioz for now. I'm so happy to have this sweet cat with us! I'll be sure to share more about him in the future!

13 comments:

Sara said...

Awww....Kitties are great. I have two. There are things called claw caps that glue onto the claws if you don't want to declaw, but have a problem with him clawing things.

Kasia said...

What a doll! He looks just like my Miko, only Miko has a little bit more black on his face. Does he have sweet little pink toes, too? :-)

I chose not to declaw mine, partly because of their age (a year is pretty old to declaw already, and mine were 1 1/2 and 2 when I adopted them) and partly because I had misgivings about it already. They claw the furniture a little, but I've found that aversion training with a spray bottle does very well.

Such a cutie!

Stephanie said...

Thanks guys! Yeah we definitely wouldn't declaw him. Right now he's not too bad about scratching on furniture, there's one chair he likes but we're using the spray bottle to teach him and he seems to be learning pretty quickly to scratch on his post and not the furniture.

Kasia said...

I've just tagged you for a meme, Stephanie - you can find it on my blog. :-)

DMouse007 said...

He's gorgeous, Steph!

I'll have to get my new kitty fix through you, since I am not allowed any more for a while :)

Stephanie said...

Hehe, go right ahead! (I'm in the process of making a new siggy with him in it for the board, but my photoshop isn't cooperating so it will have to wait till hubby is home!)

Anonymous said...

Aw. He's a Tuxedo cat, right? How cute!
I have a black and white cat named Oreo. He is a bi-color -- He has less black color than yours. He also likes to rub his face on mine. He also likes to rub the top of his head under my chin. Irresistable.

elena maria vidal said...

Very cute cat! I would love to get one but my husband's allergies do not permit it!!!

Stephanie said...

I'm very lucky that I'm not allergic, my sisters are very allergic!

FloridaWife said...

That's the cutest little cat!!!!!!!!!!

Stephanie said...

Thanks =)

Anonymous said...

You look so happy with you new cat. We have a cat. His name is Max. We picked him up at the shelter a few months back. He follows me everywhere around the house.

~Perry

Stephanie said...

Thanks Perry! Berlioz follows me everywhere too, it's so cute =)